Let’s face it – there are times when a guy is simply too busy or too tired to take the time to shower, or at least wash up in the sink; and after all, how much difference can it really make if he skips just this once? The truth is, it does matter, especially when it comes to his penis health; doctors report that a large number of penis problems are related to sub-standard hygiene practices. While it is understandable that, after a long, exhausting day, a man just wants to pass out on the sofa in front of the TV, poor hygiene can take its toll; so guys may want to consider the following benefits of a clean and well-groomed penis.
1) It can prevent itching and discomfort. Whether a man spends his time in the gym, on a construction site, or behind a desk, chances are that by the end of the day, he has developed a sort of patina of sweat, body fluids, and sloughed-off skin cells – a natural process that is always going on. This dried-on coating can lead to itching and discomfort; a daily shower, or even just a cleansing with a soft cloth by the bathroom sink, can quickly remove this material.
2) It helps protect against disease and infection. Men who are uncircumcised are more at risk for problems in this area, but any man can develop fungal or bacterial infections, especially if the skin is not kept clean on a regular basis. Furthermore, it has been shown that showering after sex can help reduce the risk of contracting an STD.
3) It can help reduce the risk of penile injury. Men who have clean, supple skin are less likely to experience friction-related or tearing injuries during either solo or partner encounters.
4) It can preserve sensation. Skin that is not clean is more likely to become dry, cracked and sore; the skin’s natural response to this is to develop a thicker layer, like a callus, as a way to protect itself. Unfortunately, this tougher skin is less responsive to touch and can cause a loss of sensitivity in the area.
5) It smells better. Odor-causing bacteria are attracted to substances like sweat and body fluids, and they are responsible for the signature mushroomy or fishy smell that can emanate from a man’s trousers. While washing alone may not eliminate all of the funky aroma, it can go a long way toward keeping it under control.
How to go about it:
While the process of keeping the penis clean may seem straightforward and obvious, there are a few nuances of which not all men are aware. Following these simple steps should get the job done.
Keep things trim. The hair surrounding the penis can get a little out of control if it is allowed to grow naturally. Trimming it to a manageable level, or even shaving it off altogether, can help to eliminate itching and reduce the accumulation of smelly body fluids. Not all men will be a fan of this step, and for those who are really just not into the manscaped look, it can be skipped; but extra care should be taken to make sure that the hair is clean and free of tangles.
Wash all of the surfaces. Men who are circumcised have it easier here, because all that is needed is a wash in the shower, using a gentle cleanser – ordinary soaps should be avoided, as they tend to dry the skin. For the uncircumcised, the foreskin should be retracted and any material washed away from underneath. [*A note here – the foreskin should never be forced back if it is too tight, or if it causes pain. Men who have difficulty retracting the foreskin should talk to their doctor, as this can lead to complications.] After washing, all traces of cleanser should be rinsed away to prevent irritation, and the skin should be patted dry.
Choose undergarments that allow for circulation. Some men undoubtedly enjoy more stylish underwear, but plain old cotton briefs are generally the best bet. Cotton is breathable and allows for circulation of air; this can reduce unpleasant odors, as well as decreasing the chances that a fungal infection such as thrush may occur. At the same time, well-fitting briefs provide just the right amount of support.
Use a penis health cream. Like the rest of the body, the skin of the penis can benefit from the nutrients and moisturizers found in a high-quality cream. For instance, vitamin A – a common ingredient in lotions – can reduce the presence of odor-causing bacteria, while vitamin E leaves the skin silky smooth and sensitive. Antioxidants like vitamin C can also improve the elasticity of the skin, while reducing the appearance of wrinkles.
On the other hand, the fragrances and other additives found in hand and body lotions are not appropriate for the penile tissue, as they can cause irritation. Instead, men should look for a specially formulated penis health cream (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil) that contains the vitamins, amino acids and antioxidants necessary for penile tissue health and function.
Disclaimer: This is provided by ezine for educational and information purpose only.